You TubeFacebookTwitterflickrGoogle plus
Tuesday, 21 May 2019 08:41 pm

Battle of Manners not over, say councillors

Jul 21st, 2009 | By | Category: Latest News

manners5

THE Save Manners Mall campaign is far from over, despite Wellington City Council’s decision to open it up to buses – and that’s according to one of the councillors who voted for it.

“The whole issue is by no means settled,” said councillor Rob Goulden during a chalk message protest in the mall (pictured above).

Manners Street was turned into a mall in 1974 and the council’s decision to reverse its mall status in June is “not just like a road-stopping exercise”.

manners6Mr Goulden (right) says people will have a chance to have their say during the revocation process and, if all else fails, the issue can be raised in the Environment Court.

“If Wellingtonians want it and want to keep it…then they are going to have to do that,” he said.

“Political” busker Benjamin Easton organised today’s Chalk the Walk protest aimed at convincing councillors to rethink.

“I’m challenging that decision,” he said. “It was done undemocratically.”

He complained at the lack of consultation involved in the decision and said on July 27 he would file for a judicial review by the High Court.

Another councillor, Bryan Pepperell, said Mayor Kerry Prendergast had admitted that the council had lost the public relations battle on the issue.

“There is an election coming. You would be a very brave politician to ignore the 5000 protestors on Facebook. This is grassroots democracy in action.”

Councillor Iona Pannett says the Wellington City Council is trying to provide for bus users, which is part of an overall strategy, while maintaining the walkability of the city: “Getting that balance right is tricky, but I think we did it right.”

Nobody was available to offer “official” comment from Wellington City Council.

PICTURES by VAUGHAN ELDER:

manners1

manners4

manners3

Maria Van der Meel

manners7

Councillor Brian Pepperell

manners2

Benjamin Easton


Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

is a Whitireia Journalism student. She is multilingualled and previously studied religion at Victoria University. She has a keen interest in music, fashion and all things trashy.
Email this author | All posts by

5 comments
Leave a comment »

  1. Good stuff Bonnie! 😀

  2. Who needs the Dompost when you’ve got Whithireia journalists to the rescue and special thanks to Wellington Scoop.co.nz for covering the people’s interests and keeping the issues alive

    the City is Ours

  3. To all Manners Mall lovers an E-petition is live at the councils website http://www.wellington.govt.nz/haveyoursay/e-petitions/current

    Manners Mall will be protected,saying No to revocation we need at least 5000 signatures.

    Thanks from the City is Ours

  4. Can you please tell me if there is a coordinated plan get all interested parties to sign this petition? I am a strong opponent of the WCC plan to change Manners Mall into a bus lane.

  5. Manners Mall is a thirty year institution and it should not be reopened to buses. We can still save Manners Mall. I’m still waiting to be convinced that this is not worth saving.
    Cheers
    Bryan Pepperell

Leave Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Radio News