You TubeFacebookTwitterflickrGoogle plus
Monday, 18 February 2019 06:13 pm

Wellington builders feel recession squeeze

May 14th, 2012 | By | Category: Front Page Layout, Latest News, News

 

WELLINGTON BUILDERS are enjoying a higher number of consents, but one builder says they are having to work at a lower rate.

In the 12 months to March there have been 1278 consents approved, according to Statistics New Zealand’s building consents figures.

The peak month was December 2011, during which 188 consents were approved.

So far this calendar year, there have been 296 approved dwelling consents issued in Wellington.

There were 114 consents issued in March 2011 and 136 consents in 2012, a 19 percent increase.

However, building values this year have dropped $10 million from $35 million in March last year.

Builder Ben Flynn (31) says there is more work around.

“People are now getting the work done. We’re taking more people on.”

However, builders are having to adjust to the financial cutbacks.

“Builders were making profit before the last census, now they have to lower rates to keep up because of the recession,”

There were 1559 consents nationwide for new houses in March 2012, the highest monthly total since September 2008.

Nationally numbers of consent approvals have risen 33% since April 2011, the month with the lowest approvals in 30 years.

Consents issued in Canterbury have increased significantly, with a majority of the locations being outside Christchurch City in surrounding districts.

Mr Flynn said he personally would not make the move to Christchurch.

“Definitely not. A lot of guys went down there for prospects, but there is a long wait to get any kind of work.

“I certainly can’t see a lot of guys from Wellington going down there.”

 

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

is a Whitireia journalism student.
Email this author | All posts by

Leave Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Radio News