You TubeFacebookTwitterflickrGoogle plus
Wednesday, 19 December 2018 03:17 pm

Changes planned for Cuba St Carnival

A revamped Cuba Street Carnival is about to be unveiled for 2013.

An announcement is expected in the next month and the Wellington City Council will receive a briefing this week for the event which has attracted crowds of more than 100,000.

The council is expected to back the carnival as an iconic event following its endorsement of a new Wellington Events Policy last week.

It is a good sign to see the council inserting a direct question about the event in consultation for the policy, says Capital Creative Arts Trust director Emma Giesen.

Among other questions, the survey asked submitters “should Cuba Street Carnival become an iconic event for Wellington?”

Of the 55 people who responded to the questions, two-thirds of submitters said it should be.

“There is so much support for the return of Cuba Street Carnival from both the public and the council,” says Ms Giesen, who declined to say more about the big changes.

“We are working hard to ensure a forward thinking and smart approach to the future direction for the event.” 

She says the trust, formed last year, was contracted by the council to do an in-depth event development plan.

The new plan builds on the original Cuba Street Carnival, which was last staged in 2009 and then cancelled due to lack of funding, and will outline a new direction, Ms Giesen (right) says.

“The plan is to ensure its sustainability and potential to grow bigger and better in coming years,” she says.

The trust has submitted its draft plan for the event and is meeting with the council this week to get feedback says Ms Giesen.

“We should have some definite plans to announce in the next month,” she says.

The council voted unanimously to adopt the new Wellington Events Policy last week.

Councillor Paul Eagle told the meeting events were the perfect vehicle to make Wellington special.

“Certainly other cities are trying to grab that from us. We are the events capital, and that’s what makes us special,” Mr Eagle said.

During the lead up to the policy being formed the council recieved 93 submissions.

Sports and events portfolio leader Councillor John Morrison thanked everyone who submitted.

“Events are the fabric that makes Wellington tick, from community right through to big events,” Mr Morrison said.

Mayor Celia Wade-Brown said the events policy had taken some time to come through but it did a wonderful job of valuing diversity.

The Creative Capital Arts Trust was created last year as an umbrella organisation replacing the Fringe Arts Trust and the Cuba St Carnival Collective Trust.

It received start-up funding from the council and Creative New Zealand.

The trust board includes Infratil executive Tim Brown as chair, Nick Simcock, Miranda Clayton, Nigel Moody and Philippa Bowron.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

is a Whitireia journalism student.
Email this author | All posts by

Leave Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Radio News