Multi-level car park on Island Bay’s Parade on hold
A multi-level supermarket car park in Island Bay will not go ahead – for now.
Island Bay New World’s car park resource consent application has been suspended.
Lisa Hunt of Wellington City Council confirmed yesterday the application has been suspended at the request of the applicant, Foodstuffs.
“It is likely that it won’t go ahead in its current form. They may lodge a new application at a later date.”
The council had received 14 submissions, all opposing the plan, by the October 31 closing date.
Management at the New World supermarket were unwilling to comment yesterday and Marty Price of Foodstuffs Wellington has not responded to a request for comment.
When contacted by NewsWire on Monday, Mr Price said: “I am unable to shed any further light on the points you have raised at this point in time. Council hasn’t confirmed any decision on the application as yet.”
Judy Davies, owner of Hairwaves Studio says she has concerns about how the development would affect her business.
“I have no idea of how it will affect me. I have looked at the plan but there hasn’t been any consultation”
Ms Davies says the couple who previously ran Parade Fisheries at 132 The Parade were bought out of their lease by the supermarket, who had purchased it from the previous owner.
“They had a three year right of renewal on the lease and weren’t offered a very good price at first. They eventually got a more reasonable offer which they accepted.”
The property, which includes the shop front and residence at the back, was planned for demolition as part of the development.
Submissions opposing the plan were mostly from Island Bay residents who don’t see the need for additional car parks.
“Car parking at New World has never been a problem in the six years I have lived and shopped there. I have never waited more than one minute to park,” said Alex Hill.
Others who made submissions were concerned about preserving the ‘village’ appearance of Island Bay.
Mark Lindsay expressed concern that “the visual appeal, human scale, use and personality of the area will be disrupted permanently”.
Claire and Adnan Kahn’s submission expressed concern at the loss of a favourite fish and chip shop.
“Du and Claire are well-respected and very much part of our community. Island Bay has a rich history of migrants. We now have to go elsewhere for our fish and chips.”
Fay Far of Island Bay Stationers knows the history of 132 The Parade since the time her father in law started his fruit shop there in 1951.
She lived in the house behind the shop with her husband and their family for a number of years.
“There were eight of us living there at one time,” says Fay, who calls it a shame the fish and chip shop had to close.
“It’s a community of small businesses and you miss people when they go.”