You TubeFacebookTwitterflickrGoogle plus
Friday, 19 December 2014 09:57 am

Street closed in Newtown after fire in laundrette

May 24th, 2013 | By | Category: Editor's Picks, Front Page Layout, Latest News, News

A STREET was closed in the Wellington suburb of Newtown in the early hours of yesterday morning while firemen dealt with a fire in a laundrette.

Senior Newtown fire service officer Michael Dombroski said his station was alerted by alarm to a possible fire in Wilson St about 11.30 on Wednesday night.

Mr Dombroski said that when he and his team arrived, the building was full of smoke, and they had to force entry.

He suspects the fire was caused by natural spontaneous combustion.

“A warm laundry bag of cotton towels sustains an organic chemical reaction because of heat in the tight bag.”

“It is not your everyday event,” Mr Dombroski said.

Mohammed Khan, owner of Moshim’s Discount House, next to the laundrette, said there was a little bit of smoke in his store, but nothing that damaged stock.

Mr Dombroski’s team stayed for about an hour to ventilate the building laundrette. He is awaiting confirmation from the owner of the laundrette as to which chemicals were involved.


Created with Admarket’s flickrSLiDR.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

is Born in Wellington, exported to the Te Nehenehenui by my Nanni. Now working as a Native for the betterment of society.
Email this author | All posts by

Leave Comment

Current ye@r *

Radio News

Study Journalism at Whitireia New Zealand