You TubeFacebookTwitterflickrGoogle plus
Monday, 22 December 2014 06:13 am

Explosion averted at Cuba St cafe

Jul 3rd, 2013 | By | Category: Front Page Layout, News, Top Picture

Heater-400-216x300[1]A NEWCOMER to the Cuba St café scene almost got blown up when its gas heater caught alight.

Fire Service officers put out the blazing heater at newly opened coffee house Soho Brown’s at 10.30, averting a gas explosion in the mid-morning coffee rush.

Senior Officer Brett Lockyer from the Wellington Central Fire Service said that when his team of firefighters arrived on scene, the heater had been rolled out on to the footpath and a staff member was trying to deal with the blaze.

The staff member was too shaken to comment but the café manager said a faulty nozzle on the heater was the cause of the incident.

Soho Brown’s in Cuba Street has been open for only two months.

Photos: SAM DUFF

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

is is a Whitireia journalism student
Email this author | All posts by

Leave Comment

Current ye@r *

Radio News

Study Journalism at Whitireia New Zealand