You TubeFacebookTwitterflickrGoogle plus
Thursday, 20 September 2018 02:38 am

WATCH: Library book sale full of bargains

Dec 17th, 2014 | By | Category: Featured Article, Features, Front Page Layout, News

 

WELLIGTON Central Library’s bi-annual book sale has given both book lovers and bargain hunters reason to rejoice.

Twice a year the library makes room for new books in its collection by withdrawing others for sale.

Libraries manager John Stears says 100,000 new books are added across the library network each year.

“We have to make space otherwise we would have them all over the floor,” he says.

Mr Stears says demand for books dies down over time, meaning multiple copies can be withdrawn and sold.

“A lot of our books are very popular when they’re first released, we have to perhaps buy 10, 15, 20 copies,” he says.

right“We normally won’t withdraw the last item.”

With copies of old books starting at just 50 cents, the book sales are a great opportunity for people to increase their collections without damaging their wallets.

“It is a very reasonably-priced sale,” says Mr Stears.

“You can get a real good bargain for four or six dollars.”

The sales bring in tens of thousands of dollars which helps the library cover their operating costs.

But Mr Stears says overall this is not a huge amount for the library network.

“It just goes back into the general operating costs of the library. We are required to fund our library service 10 percent from user fees and charges and the other 90 percent comes from rates,” he says.

The sales are always popular.

“There is a huge crowd, particularly at the beginning,” he says.

“There are not exactly fisticuffs but there is quite a lot of pushing and shoving to get close to the bargains.”

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

is a Whitireia journalism student
Email this author | All posts by

Leave Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Radio News